These days, smart phones are the norm. If you’re still puttsing around with an old flip phone and a monochrome display, you might as well be wafting smoke signals or sending out carrier pigeons. The fact of the matter is that smart phones give us the functionality, versatility and practicality we need in order to match our fast-paced society.
With the rapid propagation of smart phones, however, we carry a responsibility. If we expect our iPhones and Droids and Blackberries to help us advance our rate of productivity and development, we need to seriously consider how we approach their usage and how it correlates to our mass energy consumption.
No issue has been explored as heavily in the last few decades as climate change. Wherever your feelings lie in relation to global warming, it’s tough to argue against the financial benefits of consuming less. Pervasive smart phone usage can be a real drain on our electric supply, but there are some innovative apps out there that can help you mollify the issue. Here’re the top five:
1. Everyday Energy Tips by AppWarrior is a convenient, all-in-one resource for those of us who are new to the green movement. It’s a quick download, and it’s got a simple layout you won’t have to spend any time fiddling around with to understand. Plus, its focal point is saving energy and saving money – the app will pay for itself once you take a few of its in-home suggestions!
2. Wattulator by David Holzer gives its users a cheap, easy way to parse out their energy usage. The best way to reduce your consumption is by knowing exactly where it stands. This app helps you with just that, and also touts a pro version for even more visibility into your habits.
3. GasBuddy by GasBuddy Organization Inc lets smartphone users compare the cost of fuel amongst gas stations in your area. Running a car gets costly, especially if you’re commuting every day. It’s a smart idea to take advantage of any program that can help you save a little bit here and there – this just happens to be one of the best.
4. Easy Battery Saver by 2Easy Team does just what it advertises. The app is designed to optimize your screen’s brightness, sleep schedule and a few other modules in order to make sure you get the most out of every single charge. And remember, less charging means fewer costs tallying up on your energy bills.
5. Light Bulb Finder by Eco Hatchery helps you select an eco-friendly lighting solution based on your preferences. You’ll be able to sort through all shapes and sizes of CFLs and LEDs so you know what to look for when you head to the store. Or better yet – you could purchase bulbs directly through the app’s marketplace.
So there you have it – the top five. They’re all great in their own right, but keep in mind this isn’t the extent of energy-saving techniques you can access from your smart phone. You can tap into social media to see what your friends are doing to cut back, you can join in on green initiatives with sites like Kickstarter and you can even find green energy plans in your home town that could rival the cost of traditional packages (check http://www.compareelectricratesintexas.com/ and see what I mean). No doubt about it, our mobile savvy has made it easier than ever to save on our energy bills.